We have all heard about China being one of the biggest polluter on the planet. But, just how bad is it?
1. Fishermen row a boat in the algae-filled Chaohu Lake in Hefei, Anhui province
Largely due to China being the fourth most visited country in 2014, as well as its fast-paced economic transformation, the Asian juggernaut’s environment sadly becomes the sacrificial lamb for progress.
2. Workers clean up floating garbage on the Yangtze River
Much like the smog that perpetually hangs over the skyline, China’s reputation for being one of the worst polluted countries looms above it: waterways slick with waste, increasing tendencies of birth defects, and dying wildlife due to pollution-related factors.
3. Girl walks through smog in Beijing, where small-particle pollution is 40 times over international safety standard
According to the Harvard Business Review, China, “is taking this challenge much more seriously than others… doing things differently, making longer-term, sustained commitments that are much larger.”
4. Child drinks water from stream swimming with waste in Fuyuan County, Yunnan province
In 2010, China ranked as the world’s leading investor in low-carbon energy technology, investing $54.4 billion on that year alone, up from $39.1 billion in 2009.
5. Boy swims in water choked with algal bloom, Qingdao, Shandong
It can be said that the Chinese government is very much aware of the ecological impact of their activities, and are developing long-term plans to solve them.
6. Journalist takes a sample of red polluted water from the Jianhe River
Hopefully, these changes start happening soon, before the harm becomes irreversible.
7. Worker clears dead fish floating in a lake in Wuhan, Central China’s Hubei Province
8. Labourer tries to clean up oil from water, Dalian, Liaoning
9. Workers try to drain sewage water from leaking sewage tank, Shanghang, Fujian
10. Buildings in Beijing surrounded by smog
11. Child swims with the garbage in a polluted reservoir, Pingba
12. Boy tries to avoid scattered rubbish floating on a flooded street in Shantou, Guangdong Province
13. Pollution from a factory in Yutian, 100km east of Beijing
14. Fake Hong Kong skyline for tourists
15. Dead fish in water filled with thick, muddy algae, in East Lake, Wuhan
16. Woman collects plastic bottles near river polluted by reddish dye
17. Pipe discharges waste water into Yangtze River
18. Great Wall Of China, with not-so-great hidden secrets
19. Heavily polluted river in Jiaxing, Zhejiang
20. Child playing in the trash at a village, Jiaxing
21. Fisherman cups a handful of water from the algae-filled Chaohu Lake in Hefei
22. Factory emissions against a backdrop of lush greenery
23. Fisherman wading through lake covered in algae, Chaohu Lake
24. A bridge over troubled water, Wenzhou, Zhejiang province
25. Girl and her father collect water from puddle at dried-up reservoir, Baofeng County
26. Fishermen picking fish in a polluted canal, Beijing
27. Workers collect bags of dead fish at a park in Shenzhen, Guangdong province
28. Residents stare at a heavily polluted river in Zhugao, Sichuan province
29. A street dog’s home is a garbage pile in Northern China
30. Over 3,000 dead pigs float in Huangpu River
31. Thick smog greets morning commuters in Beijing
32. Workers clean up leaked oil after an oil pipeline explosion, Qingdao, Shandong
33. Fishermen clean up 400 million gallons of oil after oil spill
34. Polluted lake in China
35. Flies gather on railings because of polluted water, East Lake, Wuhan